Frequently Asked Questions

Find what you need in our searchable FAQ.

How do I obtain copies of official records such as marriage licenses or death records at your library?


The Illinois Regional Archive and Depository contains Cook County genealogical information. IRAD at NEIU holds local government records such as: birth, death, marriage records; naturalization records; coroner's inquest reports; Chicago police homicide records. If you would like to submit an inquiry, you may do so by mail or telephone. E-mail inquiries are not accepted. Please include: full name of person you are researching, title or type of record you are seeking, approximate year expected to appear in the record, name of county. Inquiries are limited to 2 names, and you must wait for a response to one request before submitting another.